19 June 2014

Trail Race in Salinas, PR

It feels so good to have some free time to catch up on this blog... Work had taken over my life but now I've been able to come up for some air. And I have some great news too -  I just submitted a manuscript with my PhD advisor last week for publication of a research article in the Journal of Neuroscience. I'm soooo glad to have it done! Seemed like it would never end.

And now to catch you all up on our adventures... We ran a trail race a few weeks ago in Salinas, about 45 minutes south of San Juan. It was a tough race, but the views were amazing and I felt so accomplished afterwards. About halfway through, there was a super steep hill that seemed to go on forever, but once I reached the top, the view was just breathtaking, and not just because I was huffing and puffing to get up the hill! Then the fun part began - the whole rest of the race was all downhill. Most of the participants were cautious and walking slowly down the hills, but not me. This was my chance to catch up after all that slow walking up the steep hill! This was a great route - it was on a mountain biking trail that had all these fun ramps and jumps, for the crazy mountain bikers, like Ethan. We'll definitely have to come back and ride our bikes here. I ended up finishing in 64:49, getting 8th place female and 76th overall - not too shabby for next to no training for this race. But I was just happy to be running in the woods, away from the city and enjoying all the nature that surrounded me. Ethan also had a strong finish at 60:33 and 45th male and 48th overall. Here are some photos. Unfortunately, the photographers didn't post any photos us...




More posts coming up on our recent camping trip in Maricao, and a post about our amazing trip to Guatemala!

No comments:

Post a Comment